Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday, September 24th, 2009

It's only 9:35pm right now, and I'm dying to sleep.

I woke up at 7:00am today just so that I could get my free breakfast from my Don. We had banana pancakes, which was worth waking up for. But the day went downhill from there. Usually, after my 8:30am-9:20am class, I go back to MKV to take a nap before I go to my next class at 1130am. Today was different because I had a Chem tutorial, which filled up the 2 hours between my two classes. What sucks more was that I had a lab in the afternoon as well.

Today's lab was about microbiology. Even though labs are far more interesting than lectures and tutorials, it can be quite frustrating at the same time. We were required to examine 4 different kinds of microorganisms. Most of us had trouble staining and finding the organism. When the clock struck 4pm [the lab started at 2:30pm and ends at 5:20], I was still on my first slide. Luckily, I was able to finish the lab despite of the many struggles that I had. I guess labs aren't my thing...

On another note, I am getting better in using the bunsen burner. In Ward, we were not allowed to use the bunsen burner and instead, used the hot plate instead. In university, we are forced to use the bunsen burner. At first, it was pretty embarrassing because it'll take me at least a minute for me to get the fire started. For some reason, the bunsen burner makes me feel a bit 'mature' since Ward kind of sheltered us by not letting us use it. I have to be extra careful and not let my lab coat burn, especially when I was on my own to do today's lab. In fact, this realization triggered the reality - the fact that I'm an university student. More importantly, I'm not a kid anymore because I'm all grown up. It took me around 2 and a half weeks to figure this out and get things sorted. I guess it's better later than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment